New delhi – The Quick Estimates of Index of Industrial Production (IIP) with base 2011-12 for the month of March 2018 have been released by the Central Statistics Office of the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation.
IIP is compiled using data received from 14 source agencies viz.
(i) Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP);
(ii) Indian Bureau of Mines;
(iii) Central Electricity Authority;
(iv) Joint Plant Committee, Ministry of Steel;
(v) Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas;
(vi) Office of Textile Commissioner;
(vii) Department of Chemicals & Petrochemicals;
(viii) Directorate of Sugar & Vegetable Oils;
(ix) Department of Fertilizers;
(x) Tea Board;
(xi) Office of Jute Commissioner;
(xii) Office of Coal Controller;
(xiii) Railway Board; and
(xiv) Coffee Board.
Industrial data derived from diffent sectors
- The General Index for the month of March 2018 stands at 139.0, which is 4.4 percent higher as compared to the level in the month of March 2017.
The cumulative growth for the period April-March 2017-18 over the corresponding period of the previous year stands at 4.3 percent.
- The Indices of Industrial Production for the Mining, Manufacturing and Electricity sectors for the month of March 2018 stand at 131.3, 138.6 and 156.7 respectively,
with the corresponding growth rates of 2.8 percent, 4.4 percent and 5.9 percent as compared to March 2017 (Statement I).
The cumulative growth in these three sectors during April-March 2017-18 over the corresponding period of 2016-17 has been 2.3 percent, 4.5 percent and 5.4 percent respectively.
- In terms of industries, eleven out of the twenty three industry groups (as per 2-digit NIC-2008) in the manufacturing sector have shown positive growth during the month of March 2018 as compared to the corresponding month of the previous year (Statement II).
The industry group ‘Manufacture of furniture’ has shown the highest positive growth of 41.5 percent followed by 20.6 percent in ‘Manufacture of food products’ and 17.2 percent in ‘Manufacture of motor vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers’.
On the other hand, the industry group ‘Other manufacturing’ has shown the highest negative growth of (-) 30.7 percent followed by (-) 20.6 percent in ‘Manufacture of tobacco products’ and (-) 18.6 percent in ‘Manufacture of wearing apparel’.
- As per Use-based classification, the growth rates in March 2018 over March 2017 are 2.9 percent in Primary goods, (-) 1.8 percent in Capital goods, 2.1 percent in Intermediate goods and 8.8 percent in Infrastructure/ Construction Goods (Statement III).
The Consumer durables and Consumer non-durables have recorded growth of 2.9 percent and 10.9 percent respectively.
Some important item groups showing high positive growth during the current month over the same month in previous year include ‘Stainless steel utensils’ (95.5%), ‘Sugar’ (78.2%), ‘Axle’ (51.8%), ‘Rim (wheel)’ (45.6%), ‘Bars and Rods of Alloy and Stainless Steel’ (44.0%), ‘Separators including decanter centrifuge’ (41.8%), Vaccine for veterinary medicine’ (38.8%), ‘Digestive enzymes and antacids (incl. PPI drugs)’ (32.1%), ‘API & formulations of vitamins’ (25.9%) and ‘Commercial Vehicles’ (24.7%).
Some important item groups that have registered high negative growth include ‘Hand Tools incl. interchangeable tools, not mechanised’ [(-) 67.6%], ‘Jewellery of gold (studded with stones or not)’ [(-) 66.5%], ‘Material handling, lifting and hoisting equipment’ [(-) 56.1%], ‘Generators/ Alternators’ [(-) 54.7%], ‘Printing machinery’ [(-) 47.6%], ‘Other tobacco products’ [(-) 40.6%], ‘Paper of all kinds excluding newsprint’ [(-) 40.4%], ‘Bags/ pouches of HDPE/ LDPE (plastic)’ [(-) 39.3%], ‘Plastic components of packing/ closing/ bottling articles & of electrical fittings’ [(-) 32.2%], ‘Readymade Garments, knitted’ [(-) 30.2%] and ‘Anti-pyretic, analgesic/anti-inflammatory API & formulations’ [(-)29.9%].
Taking into account the weights, the dominant item groups (five each) which have positively and negatively contributed to the overall growth of IIP are given below:
|Item Group||Weights (%)||Contribution to IIP Growth|
|High Positive Contributors|
|Digestive enzymes and antacids (incl. PPI drugs)||0.22||0.9922|
|Bars and Rods of Alloy and Stainless Steel||0.57||0.3777|
|High Negative Contributors|
|Jewellery of gold (studded with stones or not)||0.44||-0.3871|
|Generators / Alternators||0.46||-0.3361|
|Anti-pyretic, analgesic/anti-inflammatory API & formulations||0.45||-0.2898|
|Industrial Valves of different types- safety, relief and control valves(non-electronic, non-electrical)||0.53||-0.1951|
- Along with the Quick Estimates of IIP for the month of March 2018, the indices for February 2018 have undergone the first revision and those for December 2017 have undergone the final revision in the light of the updated data received from the source agencies.